The RISC OS Frotz Home Page
Last updated 18th September 1999
Current Version 1.36/2.32
FROTZ is a freeware interpreter for Infocom games. It complies with standard 1.0 of Graham Nelson's specification and was written by Stefan Jokisch in 1995-7.
On a whim, sometime around December '96, I downloaded the source and set about hacking together a quick RISC OS version. That quick version was abandonned in favour of a re-written desktop version. That rewrite was abandonned in favour of a more elegant re-write. And so on.
The upshot of all this is that I am now responsible for the RISC OS port of Frotz.
Although my port is not strictly complete, the only real omision is the support for graphical games (of which there are only four).
Sadly, I've had to shelf plans to rewrite the port and add such niceties as support for the V6 graphical games. I will still endeavour to fix bugs that are reported though.
Changes since 1.35
- Fixed a big in the truncated filename handling which could prevent
sound samples from being found if the filing system supports long filenames.
- Corrected the spelling of RISC OS in the documention...
Changes since 1.34beta
- Shift-left/right can now be used to step through the input line word by word (1.35)
- Shift-copy deletes to the end of the line (1.35)
- Dropped the beta labelling (1.35)
Changes since 1.32beta
- Bugfix: Delete & backspace keys are handled properly again (1.34)
- Bugfix: European character display is now working properly (1.33)
Changes since 1.25beta
- Bugfix: Gribble with requester windows 'overlapping' now fixed (no longers locks the interpreter!)
- Bugfix: Auxiliary files are now given the correct filetype :-)
- Game-supplied default names are now riscosified (
- Version numbers now correct (and consistent, Julian :-)
- Auto-expand 'g', 'z', etc. is now ignored for V5+ games
- Slight tweaks to Config window handling
- Some, ahem, errant features of the keyboard handling fixed.
- Bugfix: Fix for broken timed input operations. (Thanks Neil!)
- RISC OS 2 support! (Velvet just got a RO2 machine)
- Now incorporates the Frotz 2.32 core
- Speed improvements
This archive is a zip file. Decompress with SparkFS, SparkPlug or InfoZIP.
The previous release of Frotz (1.25beta) may be found in
The frotz directory at GMD, along with the ports for other platforms.
Some useful links:
The infocom-format games directory of the if-archive at GMD
The 'Official' Frotz home-page
To my Home Page
Cheesy web-counter: (since 9th Dec 1997)