Welcome to the Automine homepage
(since 11th June 1998)
Automine is a RISC OS desktop version of the (now legendary) logic/strategy game Minesweeper.
Often, in the past, I lamented the lack of a high-quality minesweeper game
for the RISC OS desktop. True enough, there are several desktop
minesweeper games available, however none of them completely satisfied
me - either they lacked some fundamental feature I expected, or their
user-interface and/or graphics were below the standard I expected.
Then, one day whilst playing the Windoze version of minesweeper (for my
sins), I got to thinking about different ways a computer player might be
implemented. After that, Automine was pretty much inevitable really.
Basically, Automine is a high quality desktop minesweeper game that is
absolutely brimming over with features.
There's a screenshot here if you want to get an idea of what Automine looks like. There are actually three other sets of graphics (one of which mimics the Windoze ones), an alternative display for the time/flags, etc...
- Interactive help support
- High score table
- Hint facility
- Save/Load game facility
- Standard difficulty levels
- Special psychic level for a quick, but hard, challenge
- Two different timer/flag display modes
- Four sets of handcrafted graphics
- Specially optimised graphics for 2, 16 and 256 colour modes
- Specially optimised graphics for high and TV resolution modes
- 621 lovingly !Paint-ed sprites!
- Corners are safe option
- Autoclear option
- Mark facility
- 'Double-click' autoclear
- Pause facility
- Masochist's game completion test (ie. no flags used!)
- Automatic 'first click protection'
- All graphics compressed to save disc space
- Automatic player with statistics
The current version is 1.61, which was (finally...) released on the 18th September 1999, having languished on my harddisc since April... The first general release was version 1.60.
Previously, version 1.59 was released through the Acorn User PD Scheme (on the April 1998 cover disc).
What's new in 1.60
- Small fix to the templates to cope with very large numbers in the autoplay statistics window.
- Autoplay speed and continuous setting are now saved with the other options.
- Minor cosmetic changes to the info window and welcome screen.
Known bugs and problems
- It's possible (although unlikely) for autoplay to get stuck because it has run out of flags. In over 100,000 autoplay games, I've only seen this happen once...
Level Time Holder Date/Time
Beginner 5s Antony Sidwell 19:46, 14th July 1998
Intermediate 31s Jain Crilley 00:30, 18th Sept 1998
Expert 105s Antony Sidwell 23:33, 14th Dec 1999
Psychic 11s Jain Crilley 20:01, 18th Sept 1998
If you beat any of these times, send me your scr file (from inside !Automine.Resources) and I'll ammend the table accordingly. My email address is in the documentation, and is email@example.com.
If you already have version 1.59 or 1.60, simply copy the contents of the archive over your existing !Automine - your scores, options, etc. will be preserved.
Automine version 1.61 (Full version, 108K Zipfile)
Automine is the property of Musus Umbra (A.J.Holdsworth), and is Copyright Musus Umbra 1998. It is released as freeware, i.e. you may distribute verbatim copies of it by any method, so long as you do not charge for doing so (a reasonable charge to cover media and handling is acceptable however). Please read the licence and disclaimer in the documentation supplied with Automine.