Musus Umbra's RISC OS Angband ports: History
This file details the development history of these ports. It deals
only with work done / bugs fixed in my RISC OS front-end code.
1.26 (02 Sep 1999)
- The scrap directory is now deleted at exit, unless the -cP
command line option is present.
- Term windows are now given the same names as used in the
(W)indow options screen.
- The gamma correction window has been tweaked a bit.
- The sprites used by myself and Thomas have now been 'standardised'.
- The preferred scrap directory is now
eg. Cthangband 3.1.2 would use a directory called:
- The preferred location for the Choices file is now
eg. Zangband 2.2.6c would use a file called
Choices:AngbandEtc.Zangband.2_2_6e for choices.
- A 'mirror' copy of the Choices file is written as
so that new versions will acquire the most recently saved
options by default.
- The preferred location of the Alarm choices file is now
This effectively means that Alarms are now shared between
all installed variants.
1.25 (27 Jun 1999)
- Added an 'alarm' option (accessible via the user menu).
The alarm is quite primitive but useful nonetheless.
- Choices will now be saved in !Boot.Choices (if appropriate for
- The 'random file' cacheing has been substantially reworked for
those variants that can make use of it.
- The game start-up sequence has been made faster and also
extended to do the work that the old !DeMunge files would
- 'Hard' input flushing is now an option available from the user menu.
- The hourglass should now remain on until game startup is actually
1.24 (18 May 1999)
- Fixed a problem with the automatic PlayIt loading that could
crash the game.
1.23 (07 May 1999)
- Fixed a bug introduced in 1.22 that could hang the machine if
AngSound wasn't available :-/
- Now automatically loads PlayIt from AngSound if it isn't loaded
and sounds are configured to be (or are turned) on. This means
that it now makes much more sense to put AngSound in
!Boot.Resources (on RPCs, etc) and forget about it. (NB: This
requires AngSound rel.4 or later).
1.22 (04 May 1999)
- Worked around a compiler problem that could
cause the numeric keypad to crash the game when adjusting
the gamma correction in the user (!) menu.
- Command line options should now be specified in a separate
file called !Options rather than in the !Run file. See the
!Help file for more details.
- If no sound path is set for the variant then the default
path will be used (obviously this will only work if
!AngSound has at least been 'seen').
- The 'use hourglass' option is now no longer on by default.
1.21 (17 Apr 1999)
- Added a new command line option:
causes the games to wait until all keys are released before
completing an input flush. This means that, for instance, if you run
by holding down a key (more fool you...) then if disturbed you'll now
stop dead, rather than possibly stopping when dead.
This option is off by default, however, since it's relatively untested.
1.20 (07 Mar 1999)
- Now uses Ctrl rather than Alt to open the
- Start fullscreen and Use hourglass are now options
available from the '!' screen.
- The savefile filetype is no longer hard-coded and can be set/changed
in the !Variant obey file.
- When returning to the desktop from full-screen mode, the
pointer should "stay where it was" rather than jumping to
a fixed point on the screen.
- Removed a stray . from the Savefile location window... sheesh!
- Work around for a problem with IClear that stopped the cursor
keys working in fullscreen mode.
1.18 and 1.19 (...........)
Interim release for a couple of variants with most of the
stuff from 1.20
1.17 (18 Jan 1999)
- Fixed a tiny bug in the code that decided whether to
truncate filenames or not (previously it would probably
fail under RO3 with Truncate configured off).
1.16 (15 Jan 1999)
- Selecting a submenu from the font menu now selects the
first entry of its submenu, but only if that menu is a leaf.
- Sound code slightly tweaked to allow 'no new sound' (filename
"*" in sound/cfg).
- The hourglass is now fixed in place (in the top-right of the
screen) in full-screen mode.
- Term windows now have horizontal scroll-bars.
Interim release for a couple of variants with some of the
stuff from 1.16
1.14 (08 Dec 1998)
- Added some code to cause panic saves to be made to a file
called !!PANIC!! in the same directory as the savefile.
This should prevent 'broken' savefiles that get panic saved
from wiping out characters, IYSWIM.
- Added some code to check that attempts to free memory in the
game's heap (when using Dynamic Areas) aren't trying to free
invalid blocks. Previously this could cause the game to
vanish without an error message - now you'll at least get
an error message and an attempt to save the game.
- The hourglass should now be used during long initialisation
(eg. Zangband 2.2.x) - it seems to have been being forgotten
1.12 (06 Dec 1998)
- Fixed a bug that could cause crashes when returning to the desktop if a 'scaled' font (ie. 8x8 or smaller) was being used in a high-res. full screen mode.
1.11 (10 Nov 1998)
- Added a check to prevent saves to other applications (which would
go via a scrapfile and so not work properly anyway).
- Fixed the font menu building code to properly cope with
empty (rather than just missing) path strings.
- Changes to !Run to work around a problem with the Obey module
in RISC OS 3.1
1.10 (01 Nov 1998)
- It's now possible to have more than one collection of ZapFonts
in the Fonts menu. This does mean, however, that you'll need to
reselect your fonts and resave your choices - sorry.
- Some changes to the way that the game is started (mainly to ease
maintenance of the !Run file for different variants, etc)
- New font: 06x12.CBoldPC (with IBM graphics characters added by me).
- Small tweaks and some "bugs" (ie. odd things - but nothing
that would cause a crash) fixed.
- !Help file updated and new !RelNote file added.
- Implemented the "Save As" box.
- Added code to cope with systems that generate errors for filenames
longer than 10 characters (eg. RISC OS 2 or RO3 with 'Truncate'
configured off, etc).
- All code is now RISC OS 2 compatible. NB: The binaries aren't -
you need to recompile using GCC or Acorn C rel.4 (etc) for that.
Mail me for more info.
- Uses 2D templates under RO2, or if the "3D bit" in the
CMOS RAM is clear under RO3.
- DeMunge obey scripts to cope with (older) SparkPlugs extracting
"foo.bar" as "foo_bar" rather than
- If you use Adjust to close the main window the other Terms
- Better file-caching for variants that use 'random line files'.
1.07 (15 Oct 1998)
- Added an hourglass (Kamband has some fairly hefty delays at
start up time)
- Fixed the auto-repeat when setting gamma on the '!' screen
- Better code for finding Zap's fonts.
- (Very) minor speed improvments.
1.06 (23 Sep 1998)
- Added sound effect volume option.
Sound on/off and volume is now controlled from a window available
from the iconbar menu.
- Added '!' front-end options screen.
You can now change the gamma correction, sound on/off and sound
volume from the game itself (via the '!' user menu) as well as
using the iconbar menu.
- Added some caching for those variants that use files of random
These files will now be loaded when the game starts to avoid
(possibly lots of) disc accesses later. This improves Kamband
dramatically (at the expense of a little memory) when the
named humanoids option, etc. are on.
This doesn't affect Angband or Sangband.
1.05 (14 Sep 1998)
(Oh dear... and only a day since 1.04 too...)
- Now looks harder for Zap's fonts - hopefully this mean that the game can find always Zap's fonts if Zap has been seen but not yet run (whether it could or not depended on what version of Zap you had in previous versions).
- Nicer handling of Shutdowns; machines with a new enough version of the Wimp (eg. RISC OS 3.5+, etc) will offer Quit, Don't quit and Save & quit options rather than just OK and Cancel.
1.04 (13 Sep 1998) [first general release]
- Added sound support (very crude I'm afraid)
- Now complains if Wimp$Scrap is unset at startup
(If it is then the game could lock up at one of the ~ options)
- Now confirms Shutdown (and Quit from the Task manager)
- Added silly '!' screen - this will (hopefully) be
replaced in the next version with a menu of things, eg.
.prf files, sound settings, etc.
1.03 (01 Sep 1998) [final? beta]
- Now tries to get a better refresh rate in full-screen mode if possible.
- If a font load/cache fails a warning is now reported. The system font is still substitued.
- The Starter now uses a much smaller window - the old one was too big for crowded desktops
- Slight re-organisation of files (!Read1st! is now !Angband.!Help, a new !Read1st! is supplied).
1.02 (28 Aug 1998) [beta]
- Fixed the font loading if ZapFonts$Path is itself a path reference (eg. ZapFontsSource:) - this would stop the menu working.
- Small internal change to the memory allocation function (Zangband no longer needs a different function prototype)
1.01 (19 Aug 1998) [beta]
- Now uses Dynamic Areas if possible; helps to speed things up under RO3.5 and 3.6
- Terms can now be dragged around the screen by their backgrounds
- Gamma correction can be set from the iccybar menu (and is saved in the choices).
- (Much) better handling of colours>15 in full screen mode
1.00 (16 Aug 1998) [beta]
- Initial release to beta testers.
Musus Umbra, 1998.